Know Your Rights!
Do not open the door for immigration agents.
Do not answer the questions of immigration agents. You have the right to remain silent—even if you are detained. You do not need to give your name or identity documents. You have the right to speak with a lawyer.
Do not lie or show any false documents.
If you are at work or on the street or in a public place, ask the immigration agent if you are free to go. If the agent says yes, walk away slowly and calmly.
If you are at home, ask the officer if they have a warrant. A warrant is a paper signed by a judge giving the officer permission to enter your home. The warrant will specify what areas of your home they are allowed to search. If the officer has a warrant, ask them to slip it under the door. Only then should you let them in.
Sources of Information
- Know Your Rights – Learn how to protect you and your family during immigration raids from Casa de Maryland
- KYR in case of raids: Know Your Rights card for ICE coming to home (English/Spanish) from ILRC
- Immigration Raids: Know Your Rights! (English) from La Cooperativa
- Know Your Rights In Case of Immigration/Police Raid (English) from INCITE!
- Know your rights in an immigration raid! (English) from Local 1222
- OFFICIAL CHIRLA Know Your Rights Video (English/Spanish) from CHIRLA
- Conozca Sus Derechos (Spanish) from Puente
- YOUR RIGHTS IN A RAID/ SUS DERECHOS EN UNA REDADA (English/Spanish) from CASA